Jonathan has always loved baking bread and has gone through various phases from pizza dough to baguettes and now to using 100% whole wheat. I can tell you I wasn't too excited at first. On week 1, he tested the difference between using red wheat and white wheat. The synopsis... the red wheat gave a nutty, hearty rich flavor but the texture was much denser. Texture won out over flavor and we decided to stick with white wheat. Week 2, he was still creating bricks more than bread. Neither the kids nor I would eat more than a sampling of it. By week 3 he had a respectable loaf, good enough for making sandwiches during the week for himself, but it still wasn't winning any prizes from the rest of us. On week 4, he discovered he needed to be more careful with the amount of dough in the pan. The loaf had respectable rise and the flavor was better, but it certainly couldn't handle sandwiches.

Week 5.... can I just say amazing! I took a bite and said, "this can't be 100% wheat. It's not more than 30% surely." But it was 100%. And the flavor was fabulous. There was even something about it that was addicting. When I made Isabelle's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for school in the morning, I would cut an extra slice just for me to eat by itself.
Aren't they beautiful?
Jonathan actually created his own recipe based on reading a lot of bread websites.
100% Whole Wheat Bread (makes 2 loaves)
- 1/2 c. water
- 1Tbsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
Proof the yeast 10 min in Bosch. Add the following:
- 1 1/2 c. water (100-110 deg F)
- 1/6 c. oil
- 1/6 c. honey (can use white sugar)
- 1/6 c. powdered milk
- 1 crushed vitamin C
- 1 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp gluten
- 1 Tbsp. Lecithin
- dash ginger
- 1/8 tsp garlic pwder
- 2 c. white wheat flour
Mix. Add another 3-4 c. white wheat flour one cup at a time until it pulls away from the side of the bowl. Mix in Bosch ~9 min (dough should stretch to near transparent before tearing).
Put in greased bowl to rise 45 min. in oven with light on (95-110 deg F); fold after 20 min. Should easily double in size.
On oiled (not floured) surface, shape into rough loaves (2) and let rest 5-10 min; then roll out thick with rolling pin and roll dough up into a tight loaf.
Cover; let rise 25 min. in warm oven.
Cook at 350 for 35min (internal temp 190-205 F).
yum! I want some:) Glad he finally got it!
ReplyDeleteThose sure look good! Can't wait to try some while we are out there!
ReplyDeleteYay! I'm glad he figured it out and that you posted the recipe! I have been feeling adventerous lately and contemplating making some wheat bread myself! It's nice to have the bread guru's recipe!
ReplyDelete