This was our first Christmas with just us and we were worried about it being boring, so we decided to rent a little cabin for a week in New Hampshire to make it seem more special. Jonathan and I decided beforehand that our goal was to play with the kids as much as possible and create opportunities for family bonding. In the end it was an amazing success.

We had planned on going to Church up there, but we were snowed in. We got dressed up anyway and took family pictures with the aid of the timer on the camera.

The first morning, Jonathan managed to "McGyver" a movie screen using a tablecloth, a piece of molding from the basement, and two ropes. He had brought his LCD movie projector with laptop and speakers so he was all set for music and movies.
Jonathan and the kids made "Santa Cookies." We ended up with an entire counterful of treats, some of which were made possible through the Harry & David's basket he hadn't yet finished from his birthday.

Treats? Who needs treats? Shirts are just fine for eating.

I read the first book of the Little House on the Prairie series to everyone. Isabelle especially loved it, but even Jonathan was interested.
I cut Isabelle's hair.
Then I cut Miriam's hair. They were very happy with the results, but I'm still in shock.

There was a wonderful snowstorm while we were there that lasted for days. It gave us the warm cosy feel while it was falling, and great snow to play in afterwards.

Who needs a sled?

My first snowman. Yes, I lived in Utah for 5 years and Connecticut for 3 yrs and this is the first snowman I have built.

To give you an idea of how much snow we had in those first 3 days, the van was completely covered, even the sides, so it just looked like a big white blob.

We held our traditional "Bethlehem Night" for Xmas Eve. Grapes, hummus with pita bread, cheeses, olives, grape juice, etc.

The kids pretended that Emily was Baby Jesus and Miriam pretended to be a shepherd. See her little sheep?

David's hat hair was a great imitation of Louis from Meet the Robinson's.

Jonathan helped the kids build a microphone with the tinker toys.
Who says kids are the only ones who can have fun?

Chug a chug a choo choo!
Looks like fun! You will have to give me the info on that cabin!
ReplyDeleteHow fun! I wanted to do the Bethlehem Dinner, but Dan wouldn't let me. I'm glad you had fun!
ReplyDeleteWhat a great idea!!! I love all the pictures-what a cute family! I am so glad you had such a wonderful Christmas, it sure likes like it was a lot of fun!
ReplyDeleteHow nice to get away from it all. Looks like you had a good time. Your kids are so cute. And congratulations on doing such a good job with all the planning that goes into a get away for a few days.
ReplyDeleteThat is awesome! What fun! Did you have to haul everything up to the cabin?
ReplyDelete