Sunday, August 17, 2008

First Project - The Deck Stairs

The stairs to our deck were very steep so I was always worried about the kids falling. They were also ugly, narrow, and in a poor location. So we decided to do something about it. We built new stairs next to the old ones. I designed them and Jonathan's Dad and I built them together.
Here we are with the stringers attached and I'm starting on the kickplates. Now the kickplates are done and I'm starting the stair treads while Jonathan checks on our progress. In the meantime he is transplanting bushes on the other side of the house in preparation for the next project, the retaining wall.
How high are these posts supposed to be?
Here is a comparison of the old to the new.
The kids were fascinated by the new stairs.
Emily was being very patient in the stroller.
The steps are done (except the very bottom kickplate since that one will take some extra figuring).


Triumph!
The railings are done and Tom has demolished the old stairs.

Hooray! Much better!

5 comments:

  1. That's awesome! It looks great. When do we come visit?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really do look awesome! and thanks for doing peaches again, it was fun.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! I didn't know you were a construction worker! Great job! I want to come see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is always a relief when projects finally get finished, The stairs look much better then the old ones, and I'm sure the kids are having a blast on the play set.

    ReplyDelete