Monday, October 27, 2008

Fall Foliage in Vermont

Jonathan and I decided to do two major trips this year as a family. The first was the Storyland trip to New Hampshire in August with Jonathan's parents. The second was our trip to Vermont with mine.


Day 1 - Since the kids did so well on the drive to New Hampshire, I was anticipating a pretty easy 3-hour drive to Vermont. The kids were definately on board with that. Miriam and David even got in their carseats a 1/2 hour early because they were so excited to go.



The drive was beautiful and we arrived at the little farmhouse I rented for the weekend in good spirits.
The view from the front of the farmhouse.

The kids had tons of fun playing outside.

After a quick trip to the grocery store, the kids and I played games while Jonathan cooked dinner (Mushroom chicken with my Mom's mashed potatoes).
The advantage of renting a house... home cooked meals, rooom for kids to play both outside and inside, multiple bedrooms, beautiful views out the windows and all for the same price as renting two hotel rooms.
The house was really cool too. It was built in 1825 and still had the hand-hewn original plank wood floors (very uneven to walk across). There was also a staircase in the front of the house and one in the back so the kids had great fun running in circles up and down and around the house.

It was my Mom's birthday so we celebrated with a brownie cake. After the kids went to bed, we had a rousing game of Taboo, girls against boys. I think we were laughing so hard at times that my Dad had tears. :)


Day Two -

Getting ready. The girls and I had matching braids. As you can tell from later pictures, Isabelle's didn't last long.

First stop, Ben & Jerry's factory.

The tour was pretty cool, the free sample was better.


Jonathan's chosen souvenir was a frisbee.


While my Mom and I were buying some more ice cream for everyone, Jonathan and my Dad took the kids over to the playground.

Next stop - the Cabot cheese annex. Good cheddar cheese samples, but that was about it.



Third stop - The Cold Hollow Cider Mill. Now this place was pretty cool. We learned how they make cider from apples. Fresh cider is just so much better than apple juice from the store.




An antique version of a cider press.


A modern cider press in action as it squeezes layers and layers of apples.



After a quick nap in the car for all but the nursing Mom, we head out for a hike to a waterfall.
It ended up being the coolest trail. Only 20 minutes long, but through all different scenery.


Small and winding through brush...


Then through a bog where you had to walk on sticks people had thrown into the water...

Along the river...


Up a steep, forested mountain...


But the view was worth the climb. This picture doesn't do it justice. What you can't tell from the picture is that the waterfall continues to fall another few hundred feet into a gorge. Absolutely stunning.


Resting up as we watch the water fall before heading back down the mountain.


Day three - Billing's Farm (an 1800's working farm)


The husking bee. It was followed by a really cute barn dance, but we only have that on video. Watching Jonathan with Miriam and Grandad with Isabelle attempting to do a do-see-do was a riot.


Dad made a new friend.



The girls were trying to feed the calf leaves. Somehow, I don't think he was interested.


Jonathan's view on eating leaves.



Are you sure about this Grandad?



Happy girl!



Walking along the pastures.




Yep. They're sheep.


Can Isabelle get the apple off with only her teeth?
Miriam tries it too. David just grabbed it with both hands so he could get a good bite.




Jonathan's attempt at getting the apple.


Time to head out. Goodbye beautiful pastures.

Goodbye beautiful fall colors. See you back in Connecticut!

1 comment:

  1. How fun. I actually loved the cabot cheese factory because I took a food science class and learned how to make cheese during one of the labs. When we walked through, they were actually making some of the cheese in the big vats and adding spices and stuff so it was really cool. What fun! And I LOVED the all you can eat cheese buffet. We also went to the cider mill and Ben and Jerry's. (I went on a trip with my parents) I miss the farms back East. We went to Wheeler farm yesterday and it was okay, but not nearly as cool as the farms back East. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete