Sunday, October 26, 2008

Jonathan's Walk-about

Jonathan at the helm here - Oct was time for my annual walk-about (Kristy refused to let me do it in spring and leave her alone for two days while 8 months pregnant). I find it very effective recreation for me to walk off alone along the Appalachian Trail for two days to rejuvenate.


I am all geared up and ready to go. Notice the two, fresh, homemade, baguettes strapped to my pack. Nothing like walking with a torn of hunk of bread in one hand and and a slice a sharp cheddar in the other.

The trail was a great walk. Lots of diversity. Forest, Plains, River, Mountains. etc...


This was a cool slit in the rock the trail went through.

Along the way there was so much of the beauty of nature, only some of which - like this fungus - that I could capture on film.


I could have done with less up and down - tiring for an out of shape cubical inhabiter like myself - but the views did make it worthwhile. The worst part was climbing a mountain, getting to the top, and finding that there was no break in the trees to actually see the surrounding land.

I had to take my shoes and socks off, rolling up my pants and wading through the ice cold water here.
The walking was incredibly restive. It really gave me a chance to think about the ground I'd covered, where I was and where I was going, on the trail I was physically walking, and about life in general.
And it was pretty tiring too. I don't have an actual campsite picture -I got in after dark was settling in and I had to scramble to make dinner while I could still see - but it looked pretty much like this, only I had a tarp under me and I was in a mummy bag. (it got into the high 30's at night). All under the stars.
The next day was more of the same; ups and downs and beautiful vistas and trails.
This is me being tired on a forresty part of the trail.
This is me being tired on a beautiful rocky part of the trail.
This is me resting at the top of climb.
Well you get the picture. It was a great walk about. I'm looking forward to next years. (maybe I'll get into better shape first).



5 comments:

  1. Wow! You are such an adventurer! Looks like a great time, and what beautiful views!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great pictures. I miss the east side of the country w/ its gorgeous verdure. Glad you had such a great and exhausting adventure. Exhaustion can be good for the soul...in small doses. Donald does a walk about (well, more like a stenuous hike at 9,000+ ft.) every year as well. When possible he likes to go back to where they ran their cattle in CO. He calls it his meditation time....I call it my -I hope my husband isn't mauled by a mountain lion time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So how did you take all the pictures? What beautiful scenery.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll answer for Jonathan. He set the camera on rocks, grass, trees, etc and used the automatic timer.

    ReplyDelete