Friday, May 1, 2009

Unconventional Dinners

The kids were so thrilled that the weather was finally warming up so for dinner one evening, I decided the best use of all of the easter eggs would be egg-salad sandwiches, and of course we must eat them outside, right? Well the beautiful day turned chilly by the time Jonathan got home so we used the lee side of our yard (where we never go) to stay out of the wind. There is a big divet in the slope that is generally inconvenient when I mow the lawn, but we made use of it for our picnic as the only level place on that side of the house.



Glasses aren't too flattering on me, but seeing as my eyes have decided they don't like contacts anymore, I'm stuck with glasses for now.




The kids found a lady-bug which kept them all happily entertained until it flew off.


At that point they pounced. On Daddy, that is. They made a big game of running down the hill and jumping onto Daddy. It was quite hilarious to watch, but I'm sure poor Daddy was sore afterward.

One rainy day, Miriam asked if we could have a fire in the fireplace and even ran out to the shed in the rain to gather some wood for it. Having just bought my first Lodge Logic Camping Dutch Oven, Jonathan suggested I make dinner with it over the fire in our fireplace. So I whipped up a quick batch of chili, and Jonathan settled it in for me. While it warmed up, I read "Farmer Boy" to the kids while seated around the fire. There was just something so precious in that moment as we pretended that we were out in the woods, back in the days of pioneers.



After dinner, we took advantage of the ashes to roast marshamllows. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment